Losing weight is a constant struggle! Here are 5 simple tips that may help you achieve your weight-loss goals. As a disclaimer, there are no official studies to prove that you will lose weight “10 times faster”, but by following the 5 tips below, you will certainly be able to lose those kilograms faster than usual!
The Malaysian healthy plate
‘Suku-suku-separuh’ is a campaign by the Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia (KKM) to emphasize appropriate portion sizing of different foods to consume during meals. Fill your plates with one quarter of carbohydrates, one quarter of proteins and half plate of fruits and vegetables. This method can help you curb your total food intake and enables you to easily adopt a healthy diet.2
Suku suku separuh link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFdHj-yQy8
Skip the sugar!
Sugar is one of the “worst” ingredients in the modern diet. Studies show that sugar consumption is associated with an increased risk of obesity among adults and children. Avoiding sugary drinks in your diet can help you to lose weight even faster.3 This applies to fruit juice as it contains almost equal amounts of sugar as a can of soda.4
Healthy fats as an alternative!
Fatty foods take a longer time to be digested and can prolong a feeling of fullness. A small study showed that taking 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day was able to reduce body fats in female subjects.5 However, healthy fats still contributes to total calorie intake; instead of consuming more fats, try to swap unhealthy fats for healthy fats such as coconut oils, safflower oil and olive oil.
Supplements to help you lose weight
Garcinia cambogia extract is able to burn fat and suppress the appetite.6,7 Green coffee extract is also an effective weight-loss supplement; it acts by speeding up the fat burning process.8 Do however keep in mind that supplements acts as an adjunct to your weight loss routine, you should not rely solely on supplements to help you lose weight.
Strength training speeds up burning of fats
A study found that exercise comprising of resistance training and aerobic exercises have greater benefits for weight loss and fat loss as compared to aerobic exercises alone. Muscles are tissues which burns more calories at rest than other tissues in the body. Therefore, strength training helps to increase muscles mass and subsequently increases the resting metabolism rate.9 Examples of strength training include push-ups, sit-ups, weight lifting, cycling and resistance bands.
1. Wahab S. Weight Management – PORTAL MyHEALTH [Internet]. PORTAL MyHEALTH. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: http://www.myhealth.gov.my/en/weight-management/
2. Pinggan sihat Malaysia [Internet]. HM Online. 2018 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.hmetro.com.my/hati/2018/02/309304/pinggan-sihat-malaysia
3. Luger M, Lafontan M, Bes-Rastrollo M, Winzer E, Yumuk V, Farpour-Lambert N. Sugar-Sweetened Beverages and Weight Gain in Children and Adults: A Systematic Review from 2013 to 2015 and a Comparison with Previous Studies [Internet]. PubMed. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29237159
4.. Gill J, Sattar N. Fruit juice: just another sugary drink? [Internet]. PubMed. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24731678
5. Oliveira-de-Lira L, Santos E, de Souza R, Matos R, Silva M, Oliveira L et al. Supplementation-Dependent Effects of Vegetable Oils with Varying Fatty Acid Compositions on Anthropometric and Biochemical Parameters in Obese Women [Internet]. PubMed. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30037019
6. Hayamizu K, Ishii Y, Kaneko I, Shen M, Okuhara Y, Shigematsu N et al. Effects of garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on visceral fat accumulation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial [Internet]. PubMed. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24944404/
7. Ohia S, Opere C, LeDay A, Bagchi M, Bagchi D, Stohs S. Safety and mechanism of appetite suppression by a novel hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX). [Internet]. PubMed. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12349913
8. Vinson J, Nagendran M, Burnham B. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects [Internet]. PubMed. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22291473
9. Ho S, Dhaliwal S, Hills A, Pal S. The effect of 12 weeks of aerobic, resistance or combination exercise training on cardiovascular risk factors in the overweight and obese in a randomized trial [Internet]. PubMed. 2019 [cited 15 May 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3487794/