Inadequate sleep, lack of exercise, too much screen time, poor diet habits and environmental aggressors can all contribute to dull skin. The key to healthy, glowy and bouncy-looking skin is a combination of good skincare practices, a balanced diet and managing stress.
Luckily, there are plenty of effective formulas on the market nowadays that specifically target dull and tired skin. Here are 5 commonly available active ingredients that help to make your skin ‘GLOW’ from the inside out:
- Retinol – A form of vitamin A
Retinol is one of the best-known skincare ingredients on the market. An over-the-counter (OTC) version of retinoids. Retinol helps neutralise free radicals in the middle layer of your skin. This helps boost the production of elastin and collagen, which creates a “pumping” effect that can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and enlarged pores.
- Vitamin C
Considered one of the best antioxidants in skincare, Vitamin C is naturally present in the body and works to protect the skin from environmental damage which occurs throughout the day. Vitamin C works to promote a radiant, brighter complexion while boosting collagen production for firmer, more youthful-looking skin.
- Superoxide Dismutase (SOD)
Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is an enzyme found in all living cells. Superoxide dismutase helps break down potentially harmful oxygen molecules in cells, this helps to prevent cellular damage.
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant in the body. Glutathione and L-Glutathione (active reduced form) demonstrates significant skin brightening properties by inhibiting dark pigment production, promotes even skin tone and enhances skin clarity.
- Tranexamic Acid (TXA)
In recent times, tranexamic acid is claimed to have whitening and brightening effects. It’s wildly effective at reducing the appearance of sunspots, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and melasma.
However, tranexamic acid is a class of medicine known as antifibrinolytics. Antifibrinolytics help to slow the breakdown of blood clots which prevents prolonged bleeding. In order to prevent unwanted events from happening, it would be safer to use topical tranexamic acid than oral tranexamic acid which may increase the risk of blood clot.
Lastly, make sure you stay hydrated! Dehydration affects how your body functions and causes your skin to appear dull and dry.
Wish to learn more about how to get glass and glowy skin? Visit your nearest CARiNG Pharmacy Today!
- How Does Retinol Work on the skin. [Internet]. [Cited October 2023]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/how-does-retinol-work
- Why is topical vitamin C important for skin health?. Harvard Health Publishing. [Cited October 2023]. Available from: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/why-is-topical-vitamin-c-important-for-skin-health-202111102635
- Glow: Tips For Maintaining Your Skin’s Glow from Inside Out. [Internet]. [Cited October 2023].Available from : https://www.idtidewater.com/blog/glow-tips-for-maintaining-your-skins-glow-from-the-inside-out
- Tranexamic Acid. MIMS Malaysia. [Internet]. Cited in October 2023]. Available form: